Thursday, August 29, 2013

Coupons... a broke girl's best friend

Let me say something real quick. Just give me a quick vent moment before starting this out.

When starting something hugely new...liiiiike jumping off a bridge buying a house, please do not delude yourself with thoughts of grandeur. You will hit the water and break limbs be completely broke and frustrated while floundering in uncharted territory. 

However, I personally love having goals and projects on the personal life.

Doesn't mean I'm rich and singing show tunes from the rooftops. (Well.... maybe sometimes.. :P )

My point being - your home is your home. Take time to make it special but also realize that you aren't a Kennedy and nor do you have the funds for installing a wet bar, guest house, and Olympic size pool in the backyard.

...bummer....

What you do have funds for?

Coupons!! 

Be proud of being stingy with money! haha

So remember back in the day when you moved, you would hit up the local post office and they have those 'moving packets' that had coupons in them? Yeah. They don't have those for easy access anymore.
A few bad apples ruined it for the rest of us by skimming those coupons regularly instead of when they move so now, you have to show actual proof of move OR you can just change your address officially online.  :)

When you do ... the world opens up and the heavens sing in amazing notes in the shape of COUPONS.

Look at those gorgeous bar codes~

These are your best friend, your little secret, your wonderful amazing helper in the money suck that is decorating a new house. And those coupons you get from changing your address, ARE GOLD.

Let me drop some rough estimates on places we've spent money so far....

Home Depot: Approx $200  (Coupon for 10% off entire purchase)
Bed, Bath, & Beyond: Approx $150 (Coupon for 20% off entire purchase)
Target: Approx $100 (Coupon for 10% off entire purchase)

This is everything from bath mats, to shower curtains, to those shower hooks, to cabinet/drawer liners, to garbage bags, to paintings, to clocks, etc.... It's amazing what you spend money on.

Macy's has also been quite the B.F.F. during this time and I would say we've spent probably around $400 there so far. We did get lucky at one point though and went when they were having a '25% off everything' type sale. So Lady Luck was looking our way sometimes.

Even with all these coupons I'm still broke this month. I still pay bills weep, cry, and scream and cringe as I see my credit card swiped again and again to make my house mine.

But it is mine. And I love being able to say that.

And even though I die a little on the inside as the money flows out of my bank account, I smile as I walk into my kitchen:

Worth it

I grin and giggle as I see my newly painted office and wonderful desk~

SOO Happy it's NOT PINK haha

Those things above make the effort worth it. Make all my broke days and frustration melt into a sense of accomplishment and a single word. "Mine"

We did this, we helped create this home, this beautiful place to stay and relax.

Still broke as broke can be.... but I'm happy.   :)

~ A

No comments:

Post a Comment