Monday, August 5, 2013

Painting Project - The before - Part One

I call this part one because let's be honest.... We're in the beginning stages. Which means there's only one way to go...

Spend more money  *sigh*

Painting.... I know we touched on this briefly before.  And here I'll share some photos:




 So, we taped up the plastic to cover all the floors to make sure we don't spill anything (this is very important) and we called it our 'Dexter' decorating. (If you don't get the reference, look up the TV show 'Dexter'.....  :D )

After a few days of priming and painting though..... all the good plastic taping intentions were gone out the window. It all pulled off, got rumpled and just became a pain in the rear end.  >:[
So then you get a system of 'Move the ladder, move the plastic to make sure it encompasses ladder, climb, paint, repeat'

Side Note: Painting... hates short people. I MAY be bias...just sayin...

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

We then also taped everything else:



Yep... the 'Sweet Frog' room

We taped the baseboards, the closet, the window, and the door frame. What we did not tape and a few days later wish we had? The ceiling and the wall. Now... the ceiling would have been all around the best idea. The wall I mean is that one on the left side (in the picture) is my accent wall. I really should have started with that wall painting, waited for it to dry, taped it off in the corner, and then painted my neutral walls.

Did I do that? Of course Not....

Did I do this the hard way? Absolutely...every chance

So what do I need to do?? buy more paint (contractor white for the ceiling) and fix the mistakes  .... *cries in corner*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

So after taping and before painting you also do putty fixing:

Look at alllllll those holes we had to fill in -__-
So, the people we bought from were firm believers in having nothing on the floor.
I agree with this technique as it makes your home more pleasing to the eye and easier to clean.
HOWEVER, that means when we puttied in all the holes.... there were a bazillion...

We were impressed.

Also, after you putty the walls you get to sand all of it before painting. Then after sanding you have to clean all the walls T.S.P.

Please note: When handling T.S.P. please wear gloves, we didn't.... our hands looked burned afterwards and were slightly itchy.... pretty sure it's not a good thing.

This whole painting business has been quite involved and convoluted and a learning experience. I get frustrated by it but it's enjoyable at the same time.  :)

(If I had to do it again.... I'd probably hire someone..... LOL)

We are STILL in the middle of painting and I hope to have more pictures soon of the completed rooms.

I'll mention a few other noteworthy moments so far in our paint adventure:

- The first primer we used on the walls?
Never dried and became an oily substance that when we used the second primer to cover it up....wasn't quite sure what color it wanted to be. We currently have a trippy white/green color thing going on....
- Get two ladders....
If you have multiple people painting, you DEFINITELY need more than 1 ladder.Otherwise, you're holding up both rooms and won't complete either one in a timely manner.


~A



No comments:

Post a Comment